Thursday, October 21, 2010

College update.


So I'm finally on my first college break(ish) at VCU. Well they're technically called "reading days" where you're supposed to study, but everyone uses it as a break to either go back home or hang out. Overall, thinking back on the past month and a half or so that I've been in school, I've had a pretty good time. VCU's definitely a cool school. There's a ton of clubs/events going on all the time, like on any given day you can walk outside and see, for example, salsa dancing going on in the commons, or an impromptu hip hop dance party out in the Commons Plaza, all school affiliated. It really is hard to be bored here. I also just like being in Richmond, I mean if there's not something going on at VCU, me and my friends can just start walking in any given direction and be somewhere fun. We go to Rumors a lot, always down to The Warehouse to hang out or see shows, go down to the canal/Shockoe Bottom, play music outside in Monroe Park, down West Grace to chill at Strange Matter or go to 711, or go to Kirsten or Ryan's apartments, which are always fun. That and we've all been getting into biking, which is way fun. Classes have been fairly challenging, but not unmaneagable (also has to do with my fairly easy schedule time wise).

However, there's some things that I'm not really into here either. First off, there's a ton of distractions. Sometimes it's hard to seperate onesself down here from social time and hit the books, or at least it is for me. I need to work on that. Also, there's sort of a lack of unity here. Because there's so much going on, people are all over the place and out at different hours...it's hard to necessarily get to know the people on your floor, not to mention there are no dorm events organized, which is both a pro and a con. Independence; cool...lack of social events with floor mates; lame. Same thing goes with the huge classes, it's hard to make new friends. I'm lucky that I've got a big group of friends that I know from hardcore shows/through other friends/from high school. It just doesn't really feel like college sort of, I mean it does, but to me at least it's more like a big fun hang out session downtown with classes thrown into the mix, which is cool but I guess not traditional.

Overall, I kinda wish I was away at school, but at the same time I like being in Richmond. I'm putting in a transfer app for JMU, which definitely has the college feel I'm looking for, and is a better school in general not to mention a couple of other benefits. I guess we'll just have to see where the road takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment