Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Don't think I've ever really made a post directly about this.

I get crap all the time about considering myself belonging to the straight edge movement. I've gotten used to being made fun of for it and dealing with sometimes awkward situations due to it though, and I'm comfortable with the decision. Basically, straight edge is a youth movement that chooses to look for alternatives to drinking, drug use, and tobacco, and with a general connection to hardcore punk. The reasons for this are numerous in my opinion. Me and my friends have a ton of fun without doing any of that, honestly. Sounds cliched but it's true. More so than that however is I just don't really see the point. I look at my roommate who's constantly high, and he's almost failing out of college, blows all of his paychecks on drugs, and has lost friends and hurt relationships with his drug use...all of that for a short term "good time". Drinking I think is more understandable, but I also don't really understand why people, especially a lot college kids, "need" it to have a good time...I guess puking/hangovers/losing inhibitions/not remembering your weekends is fun. I don't have a problem with social drinking, but the whole notion of drinking purely to get wasted is beyond me I guess. I dunno. Honestly I don't think I've ever met someone that I've had more fun with when they're high/drunk/whatever than when they're sober.

Overall I just hate that as a college student there's sort of an expectation for me to go to parties and get wasted and hook up with drunk chicks and get high. I'm just not interested in it, honestly. I'm comfortable with who I am. I don't look down on anyone who does drink or smoke though, I know people don't believe me and my above words may seem contrary to that, but it's true. I have plenty of friends that are complete stoners and party kids and haha hey, it's cool, I respect their choices, just not my particular thing y'know? I'm a lot less serious about it than most people I think, and I can't stand when people degrade others for choosing to drink, do drugs, etc, or even worse, when they literally think they're better than others for not doing so. So dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment